Reducing single-use plastic bags
Esquimalt’s Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw No.2953 requires retailers to charge for checkout bags in the municipality and will ban most use of plastic checkout bags beginning August 16, 2021.
- prohibits a business from selling or providing a customer with a plastic checkout bag (see exemptions);
- requires a business to charge for both paper and reusable checkout bags; and
- requires that a paper checkout bag contain at least 40% of post-consumer recycled paper content and that it also display the words “recyclable” and “made from 40% post-consumer recycled content” (or other applicable amount) on the outside of the bag.
Questions and public information
- Our frequently asked questions page addresses many common inquiries by residents
- We've created printable resources:
The bylaw mirrors the bylaws passed by the City of Victoria and the District of Saanich and the proposed bylaw in the City of Colwood.