Public hearings allow affected citizens to provide their views to their elected representatives
When decisions relate to:
- adoption of official community plan bylaws;
- zoning bylaws;
- phased development agreement bylaws; and
- bylaws for the early termination of land use contracts.
Unless waived by Council, the Local Government Act requires that a public hearing be held before Council gives third reading to a bylaw to amend either the Zoning Bylaw or the Official Community Plan Bylaw. Public hearings are chaired by the mayor or acting mayor and held to provide the public with an opportunity to convey their views on proposed amendments. Public hearings can also be delegated to individual members of Council.
Recent and upcoming public hearings
Public hearings are advertised in the local newspaper, and when they involve a change in use or density, public notices are mailed to owners and occupants of surrounding properties (within 100 metres of the land that is subject of the application). In addition, unless not required by the Director of Development Services, sign(s) are posted on the subject property within 14 days of making an application.
Pursuant to Ministerial Order MO192 issued June 17, 2020, the Township will conduct all public hearings electronically until the order is rescinded.
There are several options available for the public to make their thoughts about the application known to Council:
- Send an email to [email protected] before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the public hearing.
- By standard mail: c/o Corporate Officer, Administration office, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC V9A 3P1 (must be received before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the public hearing.
- Drop off written correspondence in the drop box at the front entrance of the Esquimalt Municipal Hall before 12:00 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing.
- Phone the Corporate Officer at 250-414-7135 before 4:30 p.m. on the day of the Public Hearing to get your name put on a speakers list. You will be called back during the Public Hearing and will be speaking live to Council.
- If you are watching the Public Hearing online and want to respond to something you hear, text or leave a voicemail on 250-883-6426. Your name and phone number will be taken and you will be added to the speakers list. You will receive a phone call when it is your turn to speak to Council.