Upcoming Public Hearings:
Notices for upcoming Public Hearings can be found on the Public Notice page.
Public hearings allow affected citizens to provide their views to their elected representatives
When decisions relate to:
- adoption of official community plan bylaws;
- zoning bylaws;
- phased development agreement bylaws; and
- bylaws for the early termination of land use contracts.
Unless otherwise resolved by Council, the Local Government Act requires that a public hearing be held before Council gives third reading to a bylaw to amend either the Zoning Bylaw or the Official Community Plan Bylaw. Public hearings are chaired by the mayor or acting mayor and held to provide the public with an opportunity to convey their views on proposed amendments. Public hearings can also be delegated to individual members of Council.
Public hearings are advertised in the local newspaper. When they involve a change in use or density, public notices are mailed to owners and occupants of surrounding properties (within 100 metres of the land that is subject of the application). In addition, unless not required by the Director of Development Services, sign(s) are posted on the subject property within 14 days of making an application.
In person attendance is permitted. Meetings and hearings can be viewed by our live stream webcast.
Details on participation are included in the Public Hearing Notice, the meeting agenda are listed below. Alternatively, members of the public may email [email protected] or call 250-414-7177 with any questions prior to 4:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting.
Options available for the public to make their thoughts about the application known to Council:
- Attend the Public Hearing meeting in person.
- Send an email to [email protected] before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing for inclusion in the revised agenda.
- By standard mail: c/o Corporate Officer, Administration office, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC V9A 3P1. Written submissions must be received before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing for inclusion in the revised agenda.
- Drop off written correspondence in the drop box at the front entrance of the Esquimalt Municipal Hall before 12:00 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing for inclusion in the revised agenda.
- Register to provide comments to Council electronically via telephone during a Public Hearing by phoning the Corporate Services Department at 250-414-7177 before 4:30 p.m. on the day of the Hearing.
Collection of personal information — electronic participation
- Comments and personal opinions provided by members of the public will be heard by all meeting attendees and recorded as part of the public record.
This collection of personal information is authorized under the Community Charter, Local Government Act, and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act . Your phone number will only be used for managing the meeting. Personal opinions are used for the purpose of public input and Council consideration. Please note that your comments relating to this matter will form part of the Township’s public record and may be included in a public agenda and posted on our website. Questions regarding the collection of personal information may be referred to the Corporate Officer at [email protected] or 250-414-7135.