Detached Accessory Dwelling Units (DADUs) or garden suites are now permitted in Esquimalt in RS-5, RS-6 and RD-4 zones.
DADU regulations include requirements for the location, size and height of DADUs, as well as aspects of building design such as roof form, windows, lighting and landscaping.
DADUs are not permitted where there is an existing secondary suite or duplex on the property. In total only two units are allowed per lot. In addition:
- DADUs are only permitted in the rear yard.
- The maximum DADU size permitted is 65 m2 (700 ft2).
- The size of DADUs and other structures is also limited by maximum lot coverage and setback regulations.
- The owner of the property is required to live in either the DADU or the principal dwelling.
- No stratification of DADUs is permitted.
For more information please contact:
Karen Hay, Planner 2
Email: [email protected]