Esquimalt’s main commercial area is located along Esquimalt Road between Constance Avenue and Joffre Street. The town centre, consisting of the Municipal Hall and Town Square, is situated within this commercial zone.
Other neighbourhood commercial areas are:
- Head Street and Esquimalt Road intersection
- Tillicum and Craigflower Road intersection
- West Bay Harbour.
As there are numerous undeveloped or under-developed sites within these areas, no new commercial areas are being considered at this time.
The Township has also initiated planning for the Esquimalt Town Square - a proposed development adjacent to Municipal Hall.
Esquimalt has three areas zoned for industrial use. These include:
- The Industrial Park in the Devonshire/Viewfield Road area, which contains numerous light industries.
- A heavy industrial area at the foot of Victoria View Road (in the Work Point D.N.D. Lands) is a Heavy Industrial area, which previously contained oil storage tanks.
- A heavy Industrial area is located at the end of Canteen Road on the EsquimaltHarbour (the Dockyard).
Development Permit Areas
All properties zoned for commercial or industrial use are included in Development Permit Areas, as identified in the Official Community Plan.
- Development Permit Area No. 2 - Commercial - Contains design guidelines applicable to all new commercial structures and significant alterations to the exteriors of existing commercial buildings.
- Development Permit Area No. 3 - Industrial - Contains design guidelines applicable to all new industrial structures and significant alterations to the exteriors of existing industrial buildings.
Find Development Services contacts.