Esquimalt recreation facilities are currently closed. While closed, leisure assistant pass applications will not be accepted. Please follow this page for the latest parks, recreation and facility updates in response to COVID-19.
Effective January 1, 2020 Esquimalt Residents may apply for a Leisure Assistant Pass with Esquimalt Recreation.
Residents from municipalities out of this region may apply with their local municipal recreation centre.
About the Pass
The Leisure Assistant Pass is for people with disabilities, of all ages, who require the assistance of a support person when engaging in leisure activities. Upon presentation of the pass at a participating venue, one support person will be given free or reduced admission; facilitating participation, while ensuring the person with a disability does not pay double for their admission. Passes are valid for a 1 year term from the date of issue. As support persons may change, the pass will be issued to the person with a disability.
How to Apply
1. Complete & submit the application online, in-person at the Esquimalt Recreation Centre (527 Fraser Street) or by phone at 250.412.8511.
2. Our Community Development Programmer will review your application then, be in touch via phone or email confirming whether or not it has been approved.
Facilities Accepting Leisure Assistant Pass
*subject to change
- All local, municipally funded recreation centres and facilities
- Art Gallery of Greater Victoria (250-384-4171)
- Boulderhouse Climbing (778-265-9342)
- Boulders Climbing Gym (250-544-0310)
- Burnside Gorge, Fairfield, Fernwood, James Bay, Oaklands, Quadra Village and Vic West Community Centres
- Butchart Gardens (250-652-4422)
- Craigdarroch Castle. Note: not wheelchair accessible. (250-592-5323)
- “Discover the Past” Ghostly Walks & History Tours (250-384-6698)
- Flying Squirrel - Victoria Location (778-404-1778). Completion of waiver and purchase of reusable trampoline socks required.
- Galey Farms: Corn Maze, Railway, Petting Farm, etc. (250-477-4450)
- Highland Pacific Driving Range (250-478-4653)
- IMAX Victoria. Applicable to regular public rates only, (eligible IMAX annual pass holders will receive up to 5 attendant discounts.(250-480-4887)
- Maritime Museum (250-385-4222)
- Mount Douglas Golf Club (250-477-8314)
- Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence (250-220-2510)
- Robert Bateman Centre (250-940-3630)
- Royal Theatre and McPherson Playhouse: some restrictions apply. Enquiries: [email protected] or 250-361-0808 between 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday. Please include the performance you are interested in.
- Seasonal Productions of Intrepid Theatre (eg. Vic Fringe Festival) (250-383-2663)
- Shaw Centre of the Salish Sea (250-665-7511)
- Sidney Spit Ferry: operated by Alpine Group (250-474-5145, ext. 232) *Admission discount, not fully waived. Note: not wheelchair accessible.
- UVic CARSA - Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (250-472-4000)
- Victoria Bug Zoo (250-384-2847)
- Victoria Butterfly Gardens (250-652-3822)
- Victoria YM/YWCA: Downtown, Eagle Creek and Westhills Locations (250-386-7511)
- WildPlay Element Parks Victoria. Note: by appointment only, some restrictions apply. Enquiries/bookings: [email protected] (250-595-2251)
If you business/attraction is interested in accepting a Leisure Assistant Pass, please contact us by email.
Recognizing an individual may be independent in one environment and not in another, Leisure Assistant Pass holders are expected to only use their passes at venues where assistance is required. Within each venue, persons with a disability and assistants are expected to stay together. Misuse or abuse of the pass could result in termination of it and its privileges.
Lost pass? Please be advised there is a $10 fee to replace a lost pass.