Bylaws & Enforcement

Respecting the rights of our neighbours and preserving the quality of life in our community are important aspects of community living. The goal of the Township of Esquimalt’s Bylaw Enforcement program is not to penalize residents but rather to achieve voluntary compliance through increased public education and awareness of our regulations and the rationale for them. 

While certain areas of enforcement are health and safety related that require proactive enforcement, the majority of regulations are enforced on a complaint only basis. The Bylaw Officer may investigate written complaints received from the public about alleged violations of various municipal bylaws and regulations such as property maintenance, excessive noise, snow/ice removal, land use and building issues. 

Some complaints may be considered either as a civil dispute between property owners, such as fences, or as a minor non-enforceable issue, such as trees overgrowing property lines. These will not be acted upon by the Township.


How to make a bylaw complaint

Bylaw complaints need to be submitted in writing. To make a written complaint regarding a violation of regulations contained in one the Township of Esquimalt bylaws, the Township requires you to provide your name, address, daytime telephone number, email address if applicable, as well as the details of your complaint.

Should you refuse to provide this information, in accordance with Council policy, no action may be taken by the Bylaw Officer, except in the case of alleged health or safety issues.

The Bylaw Officer will receive complaints in various ways: 

  • By completing and submitting our online Bylaw Complaint Form
  • By filling out a hard copy of the form, scanning it and emailing it to us here
  • By sending in your completed form by fax to 250-414-7111
  • By mail to: Bylaw Officer, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC V9A 3P1 
  • Drop off in person to 1229 Esquimalt Road

Considerations before submitting a bylaw complaint

Bylaw complaint information is considered confidential and will not be released, except as may be required under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or otherwise as required by law. The Township may require you to act as a witness, should a bylaw complaint case proceed to court if an infraction cannot otherwise be resolved.

Often complaints can be resolved amicably between neighbours. It is recommended that whenever possible, residents attempt to resolve their issues before contacting the Bylaw Officer for assistance.

Animal Control

Animal control services for Esquimalt are provided, by contract, through Victoria Animal Control Services. Please call 250-414-0233 or email: [email protected] regarding dogs at large, dangerous dogs, stray cats, bees and other animal concerns.