The Board of Variance is a three-member committee which is appointed by Council.
The Board of Variance:
- reviews requests for minor variances to the siting, dimensions, or size of a building
- considers variances, if property owners believe that compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause them hardship
- cannot consider variances that will affect land use or density
- can only make a decision on an application, after the owners or tenants of the subject property and parcels adjacent to the subject property are notified
- makes decisions, which are final and cannot be overturned by Council
The Board of Variance is formed and operates according to provisions of Division 15 of the Local Government Act.