In Esquimalt, all dogs over the age of four months must be licensed.
Need a licence for a new dog?
Call us at 250-414-7100 (M-F, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., except holidays) or email [email protected].
Dog licences go on sale at the beginning of each year and are valid until December 31st.
For residents whose dogs were licensed by the municipality the previous year, dog licence reminder notices are mailed at the start of the year.
We’re making it easier to renew your dog licence.
Buy one in person from one of the following locations:
Shoppers Drug Mart—870 Esquimalt Road *NEW this year
Bay Street Castle Building Centre—220 Bay Street *NEW this year
- Esquimalt Municipal Hall—1229 Esquimalt Road *Masks are required
- Currently open for licence payments Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Schedule an appointment to pay in person outside these hours by calling 250-414-7100
- Victoria Animal Control Services at 564 David Street; Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Animal Control Officers also sell licences from their vans—just ask them!
Mail your remittance slip and payment to the Esquimalt Municipal Hall at 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt BC V9A 3P1
Via the drop box
Drop off your remittance slip and payment in the drop box to the left of the main entrance of the Esquimalt Municipal Hall at any time, and we will mail your dog licence to you.
Dog licence fees are due and payable by February 28, 2021. A $20 late penalty is added when an owner fails to license a dog by this deadline.
Please phone the municipal hall at 250-414-7100 if you are no longer the owner of a dog for which you received a notice.
Dog licence tags
- A dog licence tag must be attached to the collar or harness of the dog for which it is issued.
- Dog tags may not be transferred from one dog to another or from one owner to another.
- Replacements for lost or damaged dog tags may be purchased at the Municipal Hall for a fee of $5.
Dogs that have already been licensed for the current year in another jurisdiction in Canada and are new residents to Esquimalt may have a dog licence purchased for the remainder of the current year at no charge. Please provide proof of previous licencing when obtaining your replacement tag.
A $20 late dog penalty is added when an owner fails to license a dog within 30 days of the date on which the dog was required to be licensed.
Dog Licence Fees
- Sterilized dog licence: $30
- Unsterilized dog licence: $40
- Late purchase: $20
- Replacement dog tag: $5
See Schedule A in the Animal Management Bylaw 2015 No. 2841 for additional fees.
Download Esquimalt’s Animal Management Bylaw.