Want to know how to stay informed or be involved?
Watch Council meetings online
Did you know most Council meetings are live-streamed? View live streams, recorded meetings, agendas and minutes on our Legistar site. Archived meetings videos are generally made available by noon the day after the meeting.
How to use our Legistar site:
- A Legistar page opens in a calendar layout (note that the calendar tab is one of six navigation tabs across the top of the page.)
- On the search line, select the time range dropdown list to select a time period in which meetings are held. For instance this year, this month, this week, etc.
- Find the date of the meeting you are interested in and click on the agenda link to see the meeting agenda in pdf format.
- Click on the meeting details link for access to staff reports and presentations that will be on the agenda. These reports are in html text format.
Attend Council meetings
Council meetings are scheduled twice a month on the first and third Monday of each month. They begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise posted.
The Committee of the Whole (same Council members) meets once a month on the second Monday of each month to discuss in-depth matters including long-term planning and policy development issues. The meetings begin at 7 p.m. Recommendations from the Committee of the Whole are referred to a regular Council meeting before any decisions are made.
The Local Government Act requires that a public hearing be held before Council adopts an amendment to the Zoning Bylaw (referred to as a rezoning application} or Official Community Plan Bylaw. Public hearings are chaired by the mayor or acting mayor and held to provide the public with an opportunity to convey their views on proposed land use amendments.
Public hearings are advertised in the local newspaper and in most instances public notices are mailed to owners and occupants of surrounding properties (within 100 metres of the land that is subject of the application and 50 metres for variance applications) and signs are posted on the subject property at least 10 days prior to the scheduled public hearing.
Public hearings are open to all members of the public; however, if you are unable to attend and wish to submit your written comments, you may do so by 4:30 p.m. on the day of the public hearing:
- By email: [email protected]
- By standard mail: c/o Corporate Officer, Administration office, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC V9A 3P1
- In person: c/o Corporate Officer, Administration office, 1229 Esquimalt Road