Want to know how to stay informed or be involved?
Watch council meetings online
Did you know most council meetings are live-streamed? View live streams, recorded meetings, agendas and minutes on our Legistar site.
Archived meetings videos are generally made available by noon the day after the meeting. You can also see our meeting resolution summary to read council decisions and voting history.
How to use our Legistar site:
- A Legistar page opens in a calendar layout (note that the calendar tab is one of six navigation tabs across the top of the page.)
- On the search line, select the time range dropdown list to select a time period in which meetings are held. For instance this year, this month, this week, etc.
- Find the date of the meeting you are interested in and click on the agenda link to see the meeting agenda in pdf format.
- Click on the meeting details link for access to staff reports and presentations that will be on the agenda. These reports are in html text format.
Attend Council meetings and Public Hearings
In person attendance is permitted. Meetings of Council, Committee of the Whole, and Public Hearings can be viewed by our live stream webcast. If you would like to register to provide comments electronically via telephone, please contact the Corporate Officer at [email protected] or calling 250-414-7135 prior to 4:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting.
Members of the public are encouraged to submit their support or opposition in writing by emailing comments to [email protected] or mailing or delivering comments to 1229 Esquimalt Rd, Esquimalt, BC, V9A 3P1.
Council meetings are normally scheduled twice a month on the first and third Monday of each month. They begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise posted.
The Committee of the Whole (same Council members) meets once a month on the second Monday of each month to discuss in-depth matters including long-term planning and policy development issues. The meetings begin at 6 p.m. Recommendations from the Committee of the Whole are referred to a regular Council meeting before any decisions are made.
Public hearings allow affected citizens to provide their views to their elected representatives when decisions relate to adoption of official community plan bylaws; zoning bylaws and select other instances. More about public hearings.
Input at Council Meetings and Public Hearings
Council and Public Hearings may be attended in person and can be viewed by our our live stream webcast.
Council Meetings - options for public input:
- Attend the meeting in person and provide comments at the public input opportunity.
- To provide written comments to Council, please submit your correspondence via email to [email protected] before 12:00 p.m. (noon) on the day of the meeting.
- To provide comments to Council electronically via telephone during a meeting, please contact the Corporate Officer for scheduling at [email protected] or at 250-414-7135 prior to 4:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting.
Public Hearings - options for the public to make their thoughts about the application known to Council :
- Attend the meeting in person and address Council when pubic input is invited.
- Send an email to [email protected] before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the public hearing for inclusion in the revised agenda. Correspondence received after 12 p.m. (noon) will be distributed at the Hearing.
- By standard mail: c/o Corporate Officer, Administration office, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC V9A 3P1. Written submissions must be received before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing to be included in the revised agenda. Correspondence received after 12 p.m. (noon) will be distributed at the Hearing.
- Drop off written correspondence in the drop box at the front entrance of the Esquimalt Municipal Hall. Written submission received before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing will be included in the revised agenda. Correspondence received after 12 p.m. (noon) will be distributed at the Hearing.
- To provide comments to Council electronically via telephone during a Public Hearing, please phone the Corporate Officer at 250-414-7135 before 4:30 p.m. on the day of the public hearing to get your name put on the speakers' list.
Collection of Personal Information
- Comments and personal opinions provided by members of the public will be heard by all meeting attendees and recorded as part of the public record.
This collection of personal information is authorized under the Local Government Act, Community Charter, and section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Your phone number will only be used for managing the meeting. Personal opinions are used for the purpose of public input and Council consideration. Questions may be directed to the Corporate Officer at c[email protected] or 250-414-7135.