Township Reduces Energy Consumption and GHG Emissions for Third Straight Year - 2014 CARIP Report Now Available

March 5, 2015

For the third year in a row, the Township of Esquimalt has reduced both energy consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in its municipal operations. In 2014, the Township produced 968 tonnes of GHG emissions with 71% of emissions coming from the operation of municipal buildings and the other 29% from the municipal fleet. The Township reduced hydro and natural gas consumption use in municipal buildings by 5%, fleet fuel use by 8% and overall GHG emissions by 70 tonnes compared to 2013.

As a signatory to the Climate Action Charter since October 2008, the Township is committed to developing strategies and taking action towards:

  • making progress on achieving carbon neutrality in respect to municipal operations; 
  • measuring and reporting on the community’s GHG emissions profile; and 
  • creating a complete, compact, and more energy-efficient community. 

The Township’s 2014 Climate Action Revenue Incentive Program (CARIP) Public Report highlights the action and progress being made by the Township towards meeting its Climate Action Charter goals. Highlights include the implementation of paperless Council agendas, the collection of organic kitchen scraps for composting, and participation in the Westside Solutions committee, which is evaluating options and developing a conceptual plan for a wastewater treatment and resource recovery plan for westside communities.
CARIP is a conditional grant program that provides funding to signatories equivalent to 100% of the carbon taxes paid by the local government. The value of the Township of Esquimalt’s CARIP grant for 2014 is $26,961. The grant is deposited in the Sustainability Reserve Fund to be used for funding sustainability initiatives.
Please click here to download the 2014 CARIP Report.

For more information, please contact:
Marlene Lagoa, Community Development Coordinator
Tel: 250-414-7114