The Township of Esquimalt is proposing to build a new public safety building on the property currently occupied by the fire hall/police station, and the gravel parking lot.
The current fire hall/police station will be demolished. As part of the development process, the township needs to amend the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw.
These amendments will ensure that the proposed public safety building is compliant with both the Official Community Plan and the Zoning Bylaw. As part of the public hearing process, the township, acting as the developer, is required to notify all property owners and occupants within 100 m of the site and has sent letters to those owners and occupants. It has also been published in the local newspaper and shared on social media.
The public can make comments in advance of or at the public hearing. Your comments should be restricted to those matters related to the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw such as:
• Consistency with Official Community Plan policies,
• Proposed uses,
• Building height,
• Site coverage, and
As we move to the next phase in BC's Restart Plan, we may be able to include some limited in-person attendance to public meetings. Please stay tuned and we will share details when we have confirmation from our health authorities.
There are several options available for the public to make their thoughts about the application known to Council:
- Send an email to [email protected] before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the public hearing.
- By standard mail: c/o Corporate Officer, Administration office, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC V9A 3P1 (must be received before 12 p.m. (noon) on the day of the public hearing.
- Drop off written correspondence in the drop box at the front entrance of the Esquimalt Municipal Hall before 12:00 p.m. (noon) on the day of the Public Hearing.
- Phone the Corporate Officer at 250-414-7135 before 4:30 p.m. on the day of the Public Hearing to get your name put on a speakers list. You will be called back during the Public Hearing and will be speaking live to Council.
- If you are watching the Public Hearing online and want to respond to something you hear, text or leave a voicemail on 250-883-6426. Your name and phone number will be taken and you will be added to the speakers list. You will receive a phone call when it is your turn to speak to Council.