Board of Variance Applications are reviewed by the Board of Variance, a committee comprising three members, which is appointed by Council.
The Board of Variance:
- reviews requests for minor variances to the siting, dimensions, or size of a building
- considers variances, if property owners believe that compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause them hardship
- cannot consider variances that will affect land use or density
- can only make a decision on an application, after the owners or tenants of the subject property and parcels adjacent to the subject property are notified
- makes decisions, which are final and cannot be overturned by Council
The Board of Variance is formed and operates according to provisions of Sections 536 through 544 of the Local Government Act.
Download a Board of Variance application.