The Township of Esquimalt will receive a one-time contribution of $17M from the Capital Regional District (CRD) as part of the McLoughlin Point Amenity Reserve Funds. All funds must be invested within roughly five years. The negotiated agreement clearly establishes how the Township must use these funds.
Waterfront Park Improvements = $7M
To be invested in capital improvements to waterfront parks.
- Where? Macaulay Point, Saxe Point, Esquimalt Gorge Park, or other approved waterfront parks
- What’s in? New, expanded or enhanced amenities, infrastructure, buildings, and other capital improvements (e.g. playgrounds, pathways, pavilions, bathrooms) and waterfront parkland acquisition
- What’s out? Operations, programming, maintenance, events.
Downtown Recreation Facilities Improvements = $5M
To be invested in additions or capital improvements to community recreation facilities.
- Where? Archie Browning Sports Centre, Esquimalt Recreation Centre, Bullen Park
- What’s in? New, expanded or enhanced amenities , infrastructure, and/or buildings (e.g., sports fields, pool, courts, rink)
- What’s out? Operations, programming, equipment, maintenance, and events.
Downtown Emergency Services and Public Safety Facilitities Improvements = $5M
To be invested in new, expanded, or enhanced public safety facilities
- Where? Esquimalt Town Square area
- What’s in? New, expanded or enhanced emergency services facilities with the potential to integrate other uses (e.g., apartments, offices, cafe, restaurant, retail space)
- What’s out? Operations, programming, equipment, maintenance, and events