Township Recognized for Action on Climate Change for Sixth Straight Year

September 10, 2018
Esquimalt News

For the sixth year in a row, the Township of Esquimalt has been recognized by the joint Provincial-Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) Green Communities Committee as a BC Climate Action Community. The Township has been awarded Level 3 recognition “Accelerating Progress on Charter Commitments” by taking significant action to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for the 2017 reporting year.

As a signatory to the Climate Action Charter since October 2008, the Township has demonstrated its commitment to work with the Province and UBCM to take action on climate change and reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in municipal operations and the community.

The Township was recognized by the Committee after completing a corporate carbon inventory and Climate Action Revenue Incentive Program (CARIP) public report for the 2017 reporting year. In 2017, the Township produced 1307 tonnes of GHG emissions with 75% of emissions coming from the operation of municipal buildings and the other 25% from the municipal fleet. Highlights include the LED street light replacement program, preparation of Official Community Plan policies to reduce greenhouse gasses and the installation of new solar pedestrian beacons.

The 2017 CARIP Report highlights the progress and action being made towards reducing those emissions and meeting the Township’s Charter goals. CARIP is a conditional grant program that provides funding to Charter signatories equivalent to 100 percent of the carbon taxes they paid directly. The 2017 CARIP grant was $36,642 and was deposited in the Township’s Sustainability Reserve Fund to be used for funding sustainability initiatives. The 2017 CARIP report is available here.