For immediate release
ESQUIMALT, BC— The Township of Esquimalt is doing Earth Day a little differently this year.
Typically the day is marked with a celebration at Highrock Park with a focus on children’s educational activities around sustainability and the natural environment.
The traditional format was not going to align with physical distancing practices, so the Township has taken the celebration online from Monday to Friday next week. There are events for all ages, so adults and children alike can find something to interest them.
Each day will have a theme and different way of taking part. The community can look forward to informative videos, activities for kids and a virtual tour of one of our most popular parks.
- Monday April 20: The theme for Earth Day 2020 is climate action. Learn about Esquimalt’s climate action plan.
- Tuesday April 21: Take a tour of Highrock Park and learn about our natural ecosystem from one of our Esquimalt Parks experts.
- Wednesday April 22: Earth Day activities for kids at home brought to you by Esquimalt Recreation staff.
- Thursday April 23: Energy efficiency for your home— tips and rebate opportunities.
- Friday April 24: Zero waste panel discussion with guests from the Zero Waste Emporium, Food Eco District and the Food Rescue Project.
Past events hosted exhibitors from community organizations like the Swan Lake Nature House and the Greater Victoria Green Team. This year, the hope is to create a similar energy while allowing people to participate from home.
Manager of Communications