The 2018 Official Community Plan expanded the Development Permit Area for protection of the natural environment.
This Development Permit Area applies to:
- New buildings and structures
- Additions greater than 10 m 2
- Landscaping (with some exceptions)
The Development Permit does NOT apply to:
- Interior renovations with no associated increase in residential density
- Ecological restoration projects approved by the Township
- New paths and trails less than 1 m in width and surfaced with permeable materials
Within Development Permit Area No 1 – Natural Environment, new development is not permitted:
- within 20 metres of the high water mark of the Gorge Waterway
- Within 10 m of the high water mark of the Strait of Juan de Fuca
In addition, there are a number of guidelines related to the protection of:
- Natural Features
- Natural Environment
- Drainage and Erosion
- Protection of Shorelines
- Native Bird Biodiversity
Please consult the Development Services Department at 250-414-7103 if you are planning any structural work or clearing of the foreshore area.
View the Development Permit Area No 1 – Natural Environment guidelines here
Review Esquimalt’s Official Community Plan.
Click here for Development Services contacts.