Esquimalt Parks and Recreation staff are working hard to ensure your child has a great summer! Here is how we are adapting our programs to ensure they are safe for everyone, in compliance with physical distancing and hygiene protocols, and responding to changes surrounding facility and amenity availability:
- Camps will predominantly operate outdoors;
- In the event of inclement weather ample indoor space has been secured to prioritize summer camps;
- Modified sign in & out procedures – to ensure adults maintain physical distance, parents/caregivers will drop off children at the sign in tables, staff will bring children to camp leaders;
- Communication with parents/caregivers and camp staff encouraged through email or phone;
- Bus out-trips have been cancelled and are being replaced by activities within walking distance to the Bullen Park property and by bringing new opportunities on site;
- No swimming or skating activities and;
- Strict policy that no children or staff can attend if they show any symptom of illness (fever, cough, runny nose etc).
Please carefully read the following:
Children and staff may not attend camps or any program while they have any symptoms of illness including fever, cough, runny nose, diarrhea, sore throat or difficulty breathing. Should a child be sent to camp ill, they will be denied access.
Conduct Daily Self-Assessments
Parents/guardians must assess their child daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other infectious respiratory disease before sending them to camp. If a child is ill, with any common cold, influenza or COVID-19 like symptoms, parents/guardians must keep their child at home until they have been assessed by a health care provider to exclude COVID-19 or other infectious diseases, AND their symptoms have resolved.
If your child becomes ill while at camp
As per guidance from health authorities, any child exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms will be moved to an isolation room, where they will be supervised and supported by staff until they are picked up.
Staff will don a mask and children will be offered a mask.
Parents /Caregivers will be notified and advised to pick-up their child as soon as possible. Please ensure that Esquimalt Parks & Recreation has your up to date contact information, including emergency contact information, to ensure timely pickup. To add or change contacts on your account, please see Navigating Your Online Account on our website.
Drop Off & Pick Up Procedures
Please see list below of camps drop-off/pick-up locations. These areas are disbursed on the Esquimalt Recreation Centre/Archie Browning Sports Centre/Bullen Park property to ensure best efforts are made for adults to maintain physical distancing and avoid crowding during these peak times.
Camp drop off/pick up locations:
- Before & After Care (Playgrounds & Speciality): Archie Browning Sports Centre Curling Rink
- Playgrounds Camps: Bullen Park – marked station by the Archie Browning Sports Centre rear parking lot
- Specialty Camps: Archie Browning Sports Centre Curling Rink
- Licensed Camps: Esquimalt Recreation Centre – rear entrance by Bullen Park/rec centre parking lot
- Preschool Camps – except Nature Adventurers: Esquimalt Lacrosse Box on Lyall Street
- Nature Adventurers Preschool Camps: Saxe Point Park
Please line up, keeping 2 metres apart at the drop off /sign in site.
Parents/caregivers will part from their children at the sign in/out tables; children will be directed to their camp, where the leaders will be waiting for their arrival.
All forms, e.g. medical or permission to administer medication form, must be completed before the start of camps. If you have a form missing, you will be requested to fill it out in your car. Children will not be permitted to enter camps without forms completed.
Pick up will be a similar process, with parents/caregivers showing ID at the sign out table; children will then be released from their groups to join their family.
- Children will wash their hands upon arrival (hand sanitizer)
- Children will have access to handwashing frequently through out the day
- Handwashing will be expected (soap & water or hand sanitzer) prior to eating, after eating, after coughing or sneezing, or when visibly dirty.
Physical Contact & Physical Distancing
- Groups of 20:2 will be divided into pod groups of 1:10
- Camps will be outside rain or shine, whenever possible. Please have children dress appropriately.
- Children will be encouraged to maintain physical distancing, with more emphasis on no physical contact (as recommended by VIHA Child Licensing standards and the provincial Health Officer)
- Camps will be separated throughout the day with a minimum of 10 metres between programs, and disbursed throughout neighbouring parks - including Saxe Point Park, Memorial Park, Esquimalt Adventure Park, Highrock Park, Macaulay Point Park and Bullen Park.
- High touch areas will be cleaned at least 3 times per day
- All equipment will be disinfected after use
- Before commencing a game with a shared piece of equipment, children will wash their hands before and after use, and all equipment will be disinfected
Staff & children will follow strict health protocols and illness policy
Handwashing will be a top priority within our camps, with soap and water whenever there is access; ample hand sanitizers has also been secured and will be available where access to soap and water is not available.
Hand washing will be required when children and staff arrive to camp, before & after meals/snacks, after toileting, before touching equipment, after coughing or sneezing, after touch face, nose or eyes and whenever visibly dirty.
Supplies & Equipment
Township of Esquimalt Supplies & Equipment
- All “soft” items including rugs, dress up clothing, stuffies, etc. have been removed from program areas.
- Hard books that are easily cleaned will be permitted
- Clean and dirty bins for equipment will be available to ensure toys are frequently sanitized
- All shared equipment will be sanitized after use and all children will be required to sanitize hands before and after using equipment
Items from Home
- Please do not send toys, stuffies, electronics, Pokémon cards, and personal items of value
- Please bring the following each day (and check-in with your child to ensure they have all items at the end of the day):
- Lunch – big & healthy
- Water bottle
- Hand Sanitizer
- Swim suit and towel (for splash pad, once reopened)
- Pencil case labelled with your child’s name containing – scissors, glue stick, pencil crayons and markers
* Please be advised Leaders will not be able to assist with sunscreen as in previous years. Please come to camp with sunscreen already on or bring a sun blocking alternative.
Lost and Found
Lost and found items will not be retained week-after-week. At the end of each day, any lost and found items will be displayed at the sign out tables. While best efforts will be made throughout the day to ensure no items are left behind, caregivers are remained to check in with their child each day to ensure they have all belongings.
If you would like more information regarding the risks associated with COVID-19 for children, please review the following BC CDC publications: