The Township of Esquimalt is seeking a volunteer to serve as the Township of Esquimalt representative on the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board. Candidates must reside in the Township of Esquimalt. The term of this appointment is a minimum of one year and may be extended or renewed for up to six consecutive years.
The Police Board establishes goals, priorities and objectives and develops the budget for the Victoria Police Department. The Board is also responsible for service and policy complaints related to the Department. For more information on the role and composition of the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board, please refer to the Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office (CABRO) web page at www2.gov.bc.
Selection of board members is based on merit and competencies, set out below.
Prospective board members should possess the following personal attributes:
- willingness to submit to a criminal record review and personal interview;
- knowledge about, and interest in, the community;
- knowledge and understanding of the Framework Agreement dated April 17, 2014;
- ability to understand the complexities of policing;
- high ethical standards and integrity in professional and personal dealings;
- able and willing to raise potentially controversial issues in a manner that encourages dialogue;
- capable of a wide perspective on issues;
- ability to listen and work as a team member;
- no direct or indirect conflict of interest with the member’s responsibility to the organization;
- strong reasoning skills;
- commitment to protecting fairness, avoiding conflict of interest and maintaining neutrality and objectivity; and
- willingness, ability and availability to meet time commitments (20-40 hours a month) related to board duties.
Consideration is also given to diversity of gender, heritage and knowledge of the communities served by the Department.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants are invited to submit their expression of interest letter together with a resume by mail to: Anja Nurvo, Director of Corporate Services, Township of Esquimalt, 1229 Esquimalt Road, Esquimalt, BC, V9A 3P1; or by email to: [email protected]. Please include your occupation, history of community involvement, other relevant history, technical or special expertise, area of community interest, and reasons for seeking an appointment to the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board.
For further information please contact Anja Nurvo, Director of Corporate Services at 250-414-7135 or by email at [email protected].
Please note that Esquimalt Council’s nominee to the Police Board must be approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.