Basic Home Owner Grant
To be eligible for the Home Owner Grant, to reduce your current year taxes, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant and ordinarily reside in British Columbia.
- You are the registered owner of the home.
- The home is your principal residence.
For 2019, the basic grant will be reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed value over $1,525,000, and is eliminated on homes assessed at $1,639,000 or more.
Additional Home Owner Grant
In addition to the basic grant, the additional grant can reduce your property tax by a further $275, for a total of up to $845. The minimum tax payable ($100) with the additional grant ensures that all homeowners contribute towards the funding of local services.
For 2020, the basic grant will be reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed value over $1,525,000, and is eliminated on homes assessed at $1,639,000 or more.
To be eligible for the additional grant, you must meet the criteria for the basic grant, plus one of the following:
- You are 65 or older.
- You receive a disability allowance under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act. Download a Consent for Release of Information Form.
- You are permanently disabled or you have a disabled spouse or relative residing with you permanently. Download Form B: Certificate of Physician and Property Owner.
- You are under 65 years of age and a surviving spouse of a veteran receiving a War Veterans Allowance.
If you are applying for the additional grant, you do not need to apply separately for the basic grant. The two amounts will be calculated together.
To confirm eligibility visit the Province of B.C's Home Owner Grant website or contact the Finance Department at 250-414-7107.
- Download a Home Owner Grant Application.