Competition No. 21-45
Located next to downtown Victoria, the Township of Esquimalt, with a population of over 17,000, is home to Canada’s Pacific Naval Fleet. The community boasts extensive amenities including beautiful parks and beaches, scenic waterfront walkways as well as modern recreational facilities, schools, and commercial services.
The Development Services Department is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a full-time, regular exempt Manager of Planning position. Reporting to the Director of Development Services, the Manager oversees the day-to-day operating functions of the department, processes complex applications, and supervises the Planning team. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for:
- Providing advice, guidance, and direction on planning and development matters to Council, staff, the public, applicants, and other stakeholders;
- The management of all functions related to planning and development, including the amending processes for the Official Community Plan, the Zoning Bylaw, and the Procedures and Fees Bylaw; and,
- Attending Advisory Planning Committee, Design Review Committee, Board of Variance, and other meetings as a department liaison.
The ideal candidate will have a university undergraduate or graduate degree in Urban Planning, a minimum of 6 years of related planning experience including progressive supervisory/management experience (preferably in a municipal setting), be eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners, and possess a valid class 5 driver’s licence.
In addition to a thorough understanding of the principles of urban planning and law, you possess:
- The ability to manage a high-performance team;
- Well-developed research, written, and oral skills for preparing planning reports/recommendations and making presentations to Council;
- Strong relationship-building skills for working with staff, applicants, consultants, and the public to meet planning and urban design objectives;
- An ability to use both a creative and critical approach to finding innovative design solutions; and,
- Extensive experience of the planning process from application preparation and submission to approval.
- Salary: $103,241 – 117,320 annually plus benefits.
- Hours per week: 35