Gardener ll – Auxiliary (one year term – mat leave)
Competition No. 21-29
Internal / External Opportunity
This is a Union Position
Anticipated start date: September 7, 2021
Located adjacent to downtown Victoria, Esquimalt is a residential community (population 17,000) with extensive amenities including beautiful parks and beaches, scenic waterfront walkways as well as modern recreational facilities, schools and commercial services.
The Parks & Recreation Department is seeking a motivated individual to fill an Auxiliary Mat Leave position. Reporting to the Lead Gardener, this position requires an exceptional team player with the ability to maintain a high standard of maintenance and work coordination while performing the following duties:
- Maintain park areas; trim hedges; fertilize, hand weed and edge lawn areas and flower beds; dig, mulch and prepare soil for plants; control pests through application of pesticides;
- Mow and aerate grass; use weedeater and brushcut semi-wild areas around beaches and access paths;
- Prune trees and shrubs;
- Empty garbage cans in parks and pick up litter from grounds.
- Plan and design gardens; select plants; plant;
- Plan seasonal cleanup of park areas.
- Technical school diploma in Horticulture. (1 year) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current and valid Class 5 B.C. Drivers Licence.
- Pesticide Applicator's Certificate.
- 2 -3 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Prior to applying, please review the attached job description which provides a detailed outline of key duties and required qualifications, skills, and abilities.
Salary: $30.45 per hour