Notice for dog swim at the Esquimalt Recreation Centre:
When the pools are drained during a pool maintenance closure, Esquimalt Parks & Recreation is pleased to open the pool for our four-legged friends before the facility is fully drained for comprehensive maintenance. Requirements pertaining to draining of pools is managed under the BC Health Act. We currently anicipate the next dog swim will take place in 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When and where is the dog swim?
What size category is my dog?
|Small Dog||25 lbs and under|
|Medium Dog||25 lbs - 60 lbs|
|Large Dog||60 lbs and over|
How much does it cost?
The fee for the dog swim is $15.00 plus applicable taxes
How do I register?
Registration for dog swims will be available online approximately 3-months before the event. Please check back.
When registering, please be prepared to complete the required registration form which includes (all required fields):
- Please provide your dog license number.
- What is the approximate weight of your dog?
- Declaration to agree/understanding to the terms of the dog swim
Can I participate if I don't have a license for my dog?
Unfortunately not, only licensed dogs will be permitted to the swim. If you wish to purchase a license you can find the information HERE.
Does my dog have to wear their collar/license while swimming?
Will there be a lifeguard on duty?
Yes there will be lifeguards on duty in the event that any human on the pool deck may fall into the water. If your dog is unable to swim consider bringing a lifejacket for them.
Are dog life jackets available?
No. If you are unsure of your dog's swimming abilities, please bring a lifejacket with you.
Can I bring my puppy?
Dogs must be 4 months of age AND fully vaccinated to partipate.
- Owners/handlers must supervise and have voice control of their dog at all times.
- Well socialized, friendly dogs only.
- Dangerous/aggressive/unruly animals are prohibited and will be asked to leave immediately.
- Participation is at own risk.
- Owner/handler will pick up their dog's waste immediately and dispose of it appropriately.
- The owner/handler is over 18 years of age and older.
- Owners/handlers are responsible for any injuries or damages caused by their dog.
- Dogs must be leashed while entering and exiting the pool area.
- Dogs must be spayed or neutered.
- Dog life jackets are not provided; please bring one if you are unsure of your dog’s swimming abilities
Can I get in the pool and swim with my dog?
Unfortunately no, the swim is for dogs only. Humans will not be permitted in the pool at this time.
Will there be available drinking water on site?
Yes. There are several water fountains in the Esquimalt Recreation Centre. Please bring your dog's water dish with you.
Can my child attend the dog swim with me?
Absolutely. This is a family event and children are encouraged.
Will the pool be cleaned after the dog swim?
Absolutely. There will be no humans permitted in the pool after the dogs have been in the water. The dog swim is planned to coincide with our annual pool closure for maintenance. At the end of the dog swim the pool will be closed, drained and maintained. For this reason, a dog swim takes place only when a pool is scheduled to be drained as per the BC Health Act.