We will be removing English Ivy and planting native species to help restore the park! It is right in barred owl habitat which is really neat. And, we will be by the ocean—couldn't ask for anything better.
Please fill in a volunteer registration form if this is the first time you are volunteering with the Green Team: http://bit.ly/2WdZeAT. You only need to fill out this form ONCE.
We will be working rain or shine. Park in Saxe Point parking lot.
Bus: Check BC Transit schedules to plan your route here: https://www.bctransit.com/victoria/home
Look for GVGT tent and signs!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: please review carefully. We want to ensure the safety of everyone. We ask that you do not participate (and to un-RSVP) if:
1. You feel ill, including experiencing COVID-19 symptoms such as a sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, loss of taste or smell
2. You or a member of your family have travelled internationally in the last 14 days
3. You have been exposed to someone in the last 14 days who has been diagnosed with or is suspected to have COVID-19
Safety protocols to be followed at the activity:
● Physical distancing etiquette (at least 6 feet apart from those not in your household)
● There will be a hand sanitizing station. Please sanitize your hands when you arrive & before you leave
● Please cough/sneeze into a tissue or into the bend of your arm
● Avoid touching your face
● Masks are recommended but not required
● If you start to feel ill to inform staff and leave immediately
● Please bring your own gardening gloves, tools, safety glasses if you have them (we will provide clean ones to those who don't have their own).
● Those with children will be asked to take extra care to ensure they maintain physical distancing
● Dogs must be on leash (or please don't bring your dog)
● Do not share items with those not in household
● Anyone not practicing physical distancing or who are exhibiting known COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to leave.
● We encourage those who are in the high risk category to stay home if they feel it necessary
WHAT TO BRING
• Rain jacket in case it rains
• Refillable water bottle. Please bring water and snacks! We will have water bottles and packaged refreshments for those who forget.
• A hat, sunscreen
• Your own gardening gloves, tools, safety glasses (We provide them if you don't have your own)
• Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
• Long sleeves and long pants to protect from thorny plants and ticks
• Sturdy closed toe shoes/boots
There are washrooms on site.
FLOW OF THE ACTIVITY
• Meet at 9:45am for sign-in, introductions (please be on time)
• If you can't find us, please call me, Cassandra, at[masked]
• Remove invasive plants
• Take break for refreshments half way through
• Volunteer until 1 pm then sign-out at end, take home an eco-gift!
REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER AHEAD OF TIME ONLINE
• If you haven't yet, register online (You only need to fill out this form once): http://bit.ly/2GEDEO9
• Get your parent to sign this form if you are under 19: http://bit.ly/parentguardianform
The University of Victoria