The Building Inspection Division of Community Safety Services:
- Issues building, plumbing, demolition, and sign permits – The building inspector processes applications and reviews building plans to ensure compliance with the BC Building Code, and municipal bylaws, regulations, and policies.
- Performs site inspections – Site inspections are required to determine that conditions set out in a building permit have been satisfied and they are performed at various stages of construction. A final inspection is required upon completion of a project and before an occupancy permit can be issued.
- Discusses work with contractors and property owners – The building inspector provides explanations of building code and bylaw requirements, reviews preliminary building plans to determine compliance with regulations, provides interpretations of the BC Building Code, and discusses appropriate construction methods.
The following permits are available from the Building Department:
- Building Permit
- Sign Permit
- Demolition Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Permit (for installation of new woodstoves and fireplaces ONLY)
Contact the Fire Department at 250-414-7126 for information about the removal or installation of underground fuel (oil) tanks.
Book a Building Inspection
To book an inspection, phone 250-414-7103. 24 hours notice is required for inspection.
For more information:
- Download a Agent Authorization Form
- Download the Building Permit Guide
- Download the Building Regulation Bylaw
Or contact the Building Inspection Division at 250-414-7103 or 250-414-7106
To learn more about energy-efficient new homes, click here.
Electrical and Gas Permits
Electrical and gas permits can be obtained through Technical Safety BC.
For more information on electrical and gas permits, please call 1-866-566-SAFE (7233).